Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cheerio for Now

Leaving Armenia turns out to be difficult, an unexpected turn of events for me. In less than three months I have connected with so many people (who eventually reveal themselves to be  connected to one another--believe me even this big city is a small town!). These points of contact are both personal and professional and sometimes both. I know I have made good use of my time here to learn what I could about this country I had never thought to visit, but even at my good-bye party I was gathering more points of connection, people I should talk with "next time."

I leave with homework to do. The social workers need financial help to get a website and newsletter going out to the members of their growing organization. These are just two of the vehicles by which they can promote the visibility of professional social work and demonstrate the value of practicing within a Code of Ethics. And they need consultations about standards of practice and training in specialty areas, such as violence against women. I am going to be seeking resources for these efforts.

I also leave with the faces and laughter of friends etched in my memory. It seems I just got here and barely know the talented and interesting women of IWAY. I want to hear more of their stories and, of course, I hope to keep in touch. (Anni: you MUST learn to use email!).

Centerpiece from the flower lady on our street

Some of them came to say goodbye, bearing marvelous samples of Armenian appetizers and desserts. We had real Syrian Armenian falafel donuts and hummous (from a place very close to our apartment that we did not know about!), sweets from Lebanon made with honey, pine nuts and semolina, meat-filled blini, a tart of basil and cheese, pastries and cakes, and more. They brought pomegranate wine and special red wine from Areni. Of course there was enough food for the whole apartment building, so some went home with a breakfast of leftovers of their choosing (kind of like the end of a Gourmands meal in Montpelier).

Killer pickled green tomatoes and cauliflower, roasted red peppers, and roasted eggplant with pomegranate from Sophia, who couldn't be with us in person


Dried apricots stuffed with marscapone and topped with pistachios in a wine syrup







Arman, Siranush, Aino(back), Anni, Ashken & Karine
With special consultation by Skype from Stro, I managed to make my first party mix for my iPod and shuffled the songs, Then I got to play it on my little portable/travel speakers bought just for this trip. See that small black thing on top of the castle cupboard?








Bar in the breakfast room
Denise and I have been talking about having a party since we got here. Our apartment just begs to be Party Central. It is big and has a good flow to it. 

We enjoyed the company of about 15 and the place could have easily accommodated another 20. I think we definitely paid back the neighbor who had a total blowout party the week we got here (unless hers was a good-bye party also).

In one of the many ways Denise and I get along, we both wanted to wake up to a clean apartment, so we did all the clean up when the guests left and woke up to a fresh and tidy place!

 

Armine, Beth (who is off to Macedonia), Denise, and Hasmik


L to R first row: Harout, Aino, Arpi, and Armine/Row 2: Rilla, Anna, Beth, Denise. Photo credit to Haik Tumanyan! 



We had a good time--great food, wonderful conversation, and lots of laughs and photos. I will miss all of you and really do hope that I can manage the "next time." So I will just say "Cheerio for now" instead of goodbye.

Party detritus piled up by the door for morning disposal

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful chilly, Vermont Sunday morning read! We have our heater on high, as we try to conserve oil while it's just the two of us at home...and it's COLD outside. Will put the Goldens' safety vests on and hit the trails cautiously later, as hunting season is upon us, and I don't trust anyone not to mistake my babies for whitetails! I'm loving the descriptions of the food (and wines!) you are talking about in your blog, and the photos! thanks for keeping in touch in such a descriptive and personal way. I look forward to your homecoming, and can't wait to hear more stories face to face. Continued safe travels, and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely leave-taking! Sorry I live too far for a doggy bag.

    ReplyDelete