Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election Results from Far Far Away

After shamelessly wrangling an invitation to the U.S. Embassy - Yerevan for an Election Results party on Wednesday morning, between this and that I decided I wanted to stay in my cozy robe and drink coffee while the 2012 Presidential Election results came in. We rose early and tuned in to CNN just as the first of the polls in the east were closing. Either we were going to die the death of a thousand cuts or rejoice at the results.

In a call that could have been made two years ago, CNN announced that Vermont had gone for Obama with our usual big numbers. Right on the heels of that foregone conclusion, Dixville Notch, NH's split vote augured well for the eventual outcome in the state that is proud to "Live free or die!"

Liza votes in Massachusetts!
Happily our American pals here and at home were all awake and emailing and FB messaging. Friends and family were posting pictures of the little ones helping out at the polls, learning how to be citizens. It was almost like going to a party except I didn't even have to pretend to be presentable. Plus I could be as partisan as I wanted to be when I talked back to and made fun of the CNN jabbermouths and their so-so-so-scientific polls. By the way, why do they YELL all the time?

The long lines of determined voters, especially in Florida, and the strong commitment to vote we saw in state after state buoyed me after way too much anxiety about whether the turnout would be big enough. I felt almost envious I couldn't be there in person, another public witness to this right and responsibility.

City Hall Montpelier where we all vote!
Although I had tried to persuade my parents to vote early in the Montpelier City Clerk's Office, as Greatest Generation types they wanted to do it in person on the day. They reported lines, but also more than one offer from a young person to let them cut in line so they would not have to wait so long. Warmed my heart once again about the civic spirit in Montpelier.


But, of course, the most exhilarating part of the morning was seeing the Chicago crowds dancing to Aretha's "Respect", topped by the First Family coming out onto the stage to the tune of "Signed, Sealed, Delivered...I'm Yours." The thought occurred to me that most of the young people there had no knowledge of the once-iconic song of celebration for a Democratic victory, but I do. Happy day are here again. We have work to do! How lucky is that?








 


No comments:

Post a Comment