Thursday, September 27, 2012

Write when you get work...

Well, I finally got some work to do here and I am so excited. Not that I don't enjoy going to the store and wandering around town and going to concerts and museums. I do. But one of my hopes for this sojourn was to be of use to people here.


The Women's Entrepreneurship Program (WEP) of the American University of Armenia's Extension Program has trained over 200 women in the basics of starting your own business. Many graduates have started small businesses, and some have used their new skills to get better jobs where they work now. 

I first learned about WEP when I met the Board of the Armenian International Women's Association in Boston last July (see July 19 post, WomanPower Armenian-style). AIWA is a principal sponsor of the program, whose director Dr. Arpie Balian was also present that day and she said right away that I could be helpful to her program.

Anahit
This year they will have a two-day conference at the end of November that will offer to their graduates and others both networking and learning experiences. My volunteer job is to assist the program administrator and former engineer, Anahit Ghazarian, with program and logistics planning. Does this sound familiar? The only part that is missing is Betsy, my colleague at NASW-VT! They have beautiful facilities on campus, so the main task is to develop a good program that participants will feel was worth their time away from their fledgling businesses.

Rilla and Betsy--The Dynamic Duo!
In addition, I will draft a proposal for a membership organization for the graduates of their program and other women business owners---by-laws, vision, mission, programs, etc.--which will then be discussed and modified through focus group discussions with graduates. This group would take on the networking and continuing education needs of graduates, advocate for women entrepreneurs, and maintain a close relationship with WEP.

It's really gratifying to think that I can use my skills and knowledge to promote women's empowerment in Armenia!







1 comment:

  1. Great news for you, and so glad to hear about the WEP. If this works out and you enjoy it, I can think of at least two other countries where you could "be of use."

    ReplyDelete