Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yoga in Yerevan

One of the keys to a good experience and establishing connections with other people while living overseas, I have learned, is to get involved with activities or events that you enjoy at home. My daughter found a Spanish chorus to join in Madrid, which led to many new Spanish friends she would never have made without that connection.

But exercising when you are away from home? Not usually my priority given my firmly held belief that calories consumed away from home don't count. Thanks to Denise, I am doing some fast-paced walking in the morning in addition to my slower-paced walking the rest of the day. The "gyms" here are not promising for many reasons, one being that they don't open until 9:00 a.m. We are out walking at 7:00!

Missing Geezum Crow!
What I find I am missing is a chance to unwind and let go--the kind of opportunity that a good yoga class at Geezum Crow in Montpelier offers. Except I can't practice on my own. With what seems like an increasingly compromised short-term memory, I can hardly remember the names of the poses, let alone in what order I should be doing them on my own.   And, of course, it never occurred to me to bring my yoga mat and DVDs from home. So I did what any modern woman would do--I googled "yoga in Yerevan."

One thing I learned is that the Armenian word for breath is "shoonch," which is what I sound like when I let out a big sigh! There is a yoga studio called Shoonch  here that is located close to the city center.. It not only offers yoga but also pilates and a variety of massages at reasonable prices. OMG, could like be better than this?

I figured I could "check it out" by scheduling a massage at a time when I could peak in on yoga classes as well.  In others words, strictly a reconnaissance mission. When I walked into the studio, I immediately felt as if I were transported to an island of calm in the midst of frantic midday traffic. A little incense did not hurt. 

Zara
I was greeted by Zara Nahapetya,who is a graduate of Yerevan State Linguistic University, majoring in Spanish and English. As the first point of contact for new people, Zara's sunny smile and her excellent English were reassuring.  She told me they will celebrate their 5th anniversary soon and that they were the first yoga studio in Yerevan. All of the instructors trained in the US or India.

 
Shoushanik
My appointment was with Shoushanik Stepanyan, who got her training at Yerevan State University.  Shoushanik did not speak English at all but she gave me a very good relaxation massage.Some things just don't require language, thank goodness.

Now I have the class schedule and was assured by Zara I could borrow a mat, I am set to return. If I could speak Armenian I would go on their Yoga Retreat this weekend! Oh well, other exciting things are on tap.

1 comment:

  1. Shoonch! So glad you have found a place to get your ommmm on.

    ReplyDelete